Daily Crunch: Google’s not making any more tablets
The Daily Crunch is TechCrunch’s roundup of our biggest and most important stories. If you’d like to get this delivered to your inbox every day at around 9am Pacific, you can subscribe here.
1. Google says it’s not making any more tablets
“For Google’s first-party hardware efforts, we’ll be focusing on Chrome OS laptops and will continue to support Pixel Slate,” the company said in statement.
Google SVP Rick Osterloh took to Twitter to emphasize that while Google’s hardware team will be “solely focused on building laptops moving forward,” the company will still be working with partners on Android and Chrome OS tablets.
2. Slack’s value rockets as stock closes up 48.5% in public debut
At the close of trading yesterday, Slack’s market cap sat well above $20 billion, or nearly 3 times its most recent private valuation of $7 billion.
3. One of NASA’s robotic astronaut helpers just flew on its own in space for the first time
The robot — called “Bumble” and one of a series of Astrobee robots that NASA developed to work along with astronauts on the ISS — is the first ever to fly on its own in space.
4. Samsung exec says the Galaxy Fold is ‘ready to hit the market’
Just last week, Huawei noted that it was holding off on its own Mate X release. But Samsung, at least, may finally be ready to unleash its foldable on the world, two months after the planned release.
5. Meet your new chief of staff: An AI chatbot
Mailbox’s founders are back with their second act: An AI-enabled assistant called Navigator meant to help teams work and communicate more efficiently.
6. Terry Gou resigns as Foxconn’s chairman to run for president of Taiwan
Gou, who founded Foxconn 45 years ago and is also its biggest shareholder, will remain on the company’s board.
7. A chat with Niantic CEO John Hanke on the launch of Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
Built in collaboration with WB Games, Wizards Unite is a reimagining of Pokémon GO’s real-world, location-based gaming concept through the lens of JK Rowling’s Harry Potter universe. (Extra Crunch membership required.)